Let's be honest, baby's first Christmas is kind of nice because you can get away with not spending too much money on them - they enjoy the wrapping paper and bags and boxes WAY more than whatever gift is inside. The problem is, as parents, we have so much trouble not OVER buying gifts for our kids (or am I the only one guilty of this?) I tend to try to keep it even between my three girls, making sure I don't spend a ton more or less on one of them. My oldest two make Wishlist's and know exactly what they want, (which makes it easy to know what to get for them), but my baby would be happy if I just wrapped up a roll of toilet paper!
I've found that the best way to come up with gifts for baby's first Christmas, is to focus on keepsakes and sentimental things because they will likely be something that baby has for years to come, and will create sweet memories from their very first Christmas!
1. All my girls get a new Christmas Blanket every year. The options are endless with this. TJ Maxx has adorable and inexpensive blankets. I'm a sucker for Pottery Barn because they are the highest quality and do amazing personalization and monogramming. Even for a baby who doesn't care about gifts, they will love a comfy and sweet blanket! (This particular one is on sale right now!)
2. I'm a sucker for Piggy Banks. I love the concept. I love how special it becomes as kids get older. I love the process of explaining the importance of money to little ones. And I love how cute they have started making them. Again, these can be found several different places, but it would be so sweet to have one personalized for baby's first Christmas. Hopefully it won't be broken by baby's second Christmas. Ha! The one pictured is from Things Remembered, and they do amazing and quick personalization!
3. A sweet frame to document their first 12 months of life is a MUST at some point - one where there is a slot for 12 pictures, one from each month. What better time to get it than Christmas? Mostly just because we need more things to wrap for baby so they can destroy the wrapping paper. Even if baby is only a month or two at Christmas, it's nice to have this before they turn a year so that you can start putting the photos in each month. There are some unique frames for this on Etsy (such as the ones pictured, but they can be found all over - Pottery Barn, The Land of Nod, Ross, Walmart, Target, etc.
4. A Personalized Story Book. If you head to Putmeinthestory.com, make sure not to schedule anything for the next hour. This website is AMAZING and there are way too many adorable books to choose. Every kid loves this gift because THEY are the hero of the story. Their name is on every page and the book is personalized to them. It's so vital to read to babies when they are young, but this is also a gift they will love year after year! I truly believe that every kid needs this gift!
5. Baby's First Christmas Ornament. This is a MUST. And just think, if you have 15 kids, your tree will be completely decorated just with these First Christmas ornaments. ;) The styles on these vary from ultra personalized to each individual baby, to very generic and classic. It may take time to find the perfect one for your sweet little one, but this is such a perfect keepsake. And as an adult, I STILL love looking at all my ornaments from when I was a kid.